This article will help you set up your songwriting space in five easy steps.
Set Up Your Songwriting Space In Five Easy Steps
Setting up your songwriting space is an important act. It’s a signal to yourself that you are ready to write–at any time. You will be prepared when inspiration strikes. Follow these steps and you will be able to focus on songwriting without distraction.
Step 1: Pick the Right Spot
As you ask yourself the following questions (touchy-feely disclaimer):
- Is there a place in my home/workspace where I feel energized, creative, happy? Go and stand in that area. Think about how you feel.
- Ask yourself, “Can I dedicate this place (or a portion of this space) to songwriting?” If your answer is yes, proceed to the next section (Pick the Right Tools). If not, think of another area in your home, rinse and repeat.
Step 2: Pick the Right Tools
Now think about the following questions, grab what ever comes to mind, and place it in your songwriting area:
- What instrument(s) do I use or want to use to write music?
- How can I easily capture songs as they come to me?
- Do I prefer to write using sheet music, a pen and paper, a handheld recorder, a 4-Track, ProTools, etc.?
- Where’s my tuner?
- Do I want to sit or stand?
Depending on your responses to the questions above, set up your space so that you have all of the tools you will likely need. Think about the basics that come to mind. Don’t worry if you can’t have everything you want right away.
Step 3: Choose Your Inspiration
Consider using a peg board for inspirational quotes, photos, goals, and random thoughts that you may have. Who inspires you? What’s your favorite band?
Step 4: Stay Organized
Set up a basic filing system with separate spaces for song bits or fragments, mostly completed songs, and completed songs. A basic notebook will do if you are just getting started. Keep your song ideas organized and you will spend less time searching for that great song idea you had last week.
Step 5: Pat Your Self on the Back
Congratulations. If you have followed these steps, you now have a dedicated songwriting space. Until next time, thanks for dropping in and happy songwriting to you.